house with a ring-side view of history
Huth, 5 Alte Potsdamer Strasse, was built for the Huth
family in 1912, by architects Conrad Heidenreich and
Paul Michel. It is the only imperial German building
in Potsdamer Platz to have survived both the war and
Wall largely unscathed.
steel skeleton structure
family wanted to store wine on the second and third
floors, and so the architects recommended a steel skeleton
structure that was well ahead of its time. This is why
the building survived the air-raids.